Yes, ‘Don’t cry over spilled milk day’ is an actual day, and it’s today! So, in the midst of legal proceedings, issues, claims and disputes, we therefore encourage you to think of the positives and stay optimistic.
It may be hard to do so, due to the financial difficulty, time pressures, nerves and ambiguity that may surround your legal situation, but think of the benefits of your situation.
The Jackson civil litigation reforms have benefitted you in the following ways:
- An extension of the range of funding mechanisms that are available to parties such as damaged based agreements, third party funding and legal aid funds;
- Banning referral fees in personal injury cases;
- Fixed costs in the fast track;
- Controlling disclosure and e-disclosure more effectively so that costs are proportionate to the issues in dispute;
- Part 36 offers; and
- The promotion of ADR and out of court settlement.
These make your legal experience less time consuming, less expensive and can even help preserve the relationship between parties.
It may not be plain sailing in law for everyone, but we learn from mistakes. The legal proceedings will end at some point. The whole process and final judgement will help you understand how to avoid disputes and proceedings in the future or deal with them in an efficient way.
It could be worse, you could have finalised your dispute before the reforms.
After all, the glass is still half full (of milk).